Launched on 2nd October 1975, today, ICDS Scheme represents one of the world's largest and most unique programmes for early childhood development. ICDS is the foremost symbol of India's commitment to her children –
The main objectives are:
- To improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age-group 0-6 years;
- To lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child;
- To reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, malnutrition and school dropout;
- To achieve effective co-ordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development;
- To enhance the capability of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child through proper nutrition and health education.
- To implement the major policy initiatives undertaken by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in the recent past that Universalisation of ICDS i.e the services of ICDS should reach every nook and corner of a settlement especially SC/ST/Minority populated areas.